The GNOME.Asia Committee is inviting proposals to host GNOME.Asia Summit during the 1st quarter of 2012. GNOME.Asia Summit is the yearly GNOME Users and Developers Conference in Asia. The event focuses primarily on the GNOME desktop, and also covers applications and the development platform tools. It brings together the GNOME community in Asia to provide a forum for users, developers, foundation leaders, governments and businesses to discuss both the present technology and future developments.
GNOME.Asia Summit was held in Beijing, Ho-Chi-Minh City, Taipei and Bangalore respectively over the last four years. We would like to continue finding new locations as we spread GNOME throughout Asia, and we are looking for local organizers to rise to the challenge of organizing an excellent GNOME event. The GNOME.Asia committee will assist in the process, but there is a definitive need for individuals to be actively involved and committed to the planning and delivery of the event.
You can learn more about GNOME.Asia Summit at our official website: http://www.gnome.asia
For those of you who would like to host the next GNOME.Asia Summit in 2012 you are hereby invited to write a formal proposal to the gnome-asia-committee-list (at) gnome (dot) org . The deadline for the proposals is July 4, 2011 Monday UTC 2359. Please send your proposal to gnome-asia-committee-list (at) gnome (dot) org. We might invite you to present your proposal in more details over our regular IRC meetings, or send you additional questions and requests. Results will be announced by the end of July 2011.
The conference will require availability of facilities for one week, including a weekend, during the 1st quarter of 2012 (January to March 2012). Dates should avoid other key free software conferences or other events that may have conflict and will be confirmed together with other GNOME teams which might get involved.
Key points which proposals should consider, and which will be taken into account when deciding among candidates, are:
- Local community support for hosting the conference.
- Venue details. Information about infrastructure and facilities to hold the conference should be provided.
- Information about how internet connectivity will be managed.
- Lodging choices ranging from affordable housing to nicer hotels, and information about distances between the venue and lodging options.
- The availability of restaurants or the organization of catering on-site, cost of food/soft drinks/beer.
- The availability and cost of travel from major Asian and European cities.
- Local industry and government support.
- Please provide a reasonably detailed budget.
- Bear in mind that at GNOME.Asia Summit, the hallway track and social activities are also very important.
Please check the GNOME.Asia Summit check list  and howtos  when putting together a proposal. Please also feel free to contact gnome-asia-committee-list (at) gnome (dot) org if you have any questions.
Please help to spread the words and we are looking forward to hearing from you soon!